Predictive analytics castle on a data quicksand – the D3 ills and 3C pills.
In the era of data-driven decisions, it’s only too easy to build a house on quicksand. Recognize that data has three ills:
- Dirty – Data have incorrect or missing records.
- Disorganized – Lack of standard nomenclature or yardsticks.
- Disconnected – Data are spread over discrete data-stores.
Where there are three ills, there are also cures. These are:
- Clean – Rectify records and remove outliers.
- Consistent – Standardize nomenclature and establish common yardsticks.
- Connected – Curate meta-data “glue” to assemble data together like LEGO(R) bricks.
This is the data wrangling challenge. Remember, if your data has D3 ills, take the 3C pill!